April 13, 2021
Today marks the beginning of the 2021 Louisiana legislative session. Legislators and staff are in Baton Rouge wading through a pile of hundreds of bills – many very good, some very bad.
This morning, LFF hosted, on the Capitol grounds, a pastors briefing with the Louisiana Baptists and Build Right in order to shine a light on the bills you’ll want to keep an eye on. We'll be releasing that list to you later this week. A special thanks to Louisiana Seafood Association, and the dozens of pastors, lawmakers, and public officials who made this event a success!
Aside from the budget, lawmakers will be hearing bills related to taxes, abortion, religious liberty, the self-defense, free-speech, gambling, vaccine mandates and passports, and so much more. This is an important time to pay attention and remain engaged. LFF will be assist you every step of the way to keep you up-to-date on the most recent items.
Here’s the bottom line, Friends: we want you to be equipped to make a significant impact this year. It only takes 60 seconds to ensure that your legislator hears your voice.
As you get up to speed on issues that LFF is following, here are 5 things you can do right now to make a difference:
- Sign up for the 60-Second Brigade. This system alerts you with an email when legislation you care about is being heard in committee, and connects you to the legislators that need to hear from you before they cast a vote.
- Pray for your legislators. If you aren’t sure who your legislators are, click this link to look them up by your home address. Even if you don’t agree with your legislators’ positions on the issues, you can ask God to grant them wisdom, conviction, and influential seat mates.
- Set up a meeting or phone call with your lawmakers. Many legislators never have visitors from their home districts when a bill is up for a vote. LFF would like to facilitate your church, pastor, or team for a day at the Capitol. We are glad to assist – simply reach out to Pastor Dale Hoffpauir at LFF’s office to set up a day. We are honored to set up a meeting, phone call, or a Capitol visit to introduce your team and build a relationship.
- Introduce your pastor to LFF. Pastors are some of the most influential people in our communities. We have a robust network of pastors and church leaders who are committed to impacting culture through the public square – and they met together just this morning at the Capitol. If you pastor isn’t a part of LFF’s pastor network, please let us know by responding to this email! We will reach out!
- Donate towards LFF’s work. We know that times are tough for many families. If you’re in a position to help, however, we would love to have your investment in our culture-shaping work. Every dollar you donate through this link will count as a tax-deduction and will help LFF to keep staff in the Capitol to impact legislation through the session.
Friends, we’re going to need your help over the course of this session. Many bills will come up and we need to ensure the good ones survive and the bad ones don’t. Your engagement will play a key role in the success or defeat of legislation.
Thank you for your loyal support of Louisiana families!
In His Service,
Louisiana Family Forum